Huwebes, Marso 17, 2011

Intramuros x PyroMusical Show 2011




Intramuros x PyroMusical Show, 14 March 2011

In my first year in Manila, I lived just a few blocks away from Intramuros, at Pope Pius XII in UN Ave. And during late Sunday afternoons, I used to bike around this area. Back then, the walled city gave me those cringes you get from cemeteries. Despite the many times I went to attend masses in the Manila Cathedral with my holy father, and bummed around within the walls to see the WOW Philippines regional expos, I found it difficult to be fond of the place.

It took 5 years later for me to appreciate the piercing and cryptic charm of old Manila. We didn't have our usual Saturday classes, and a couple of block mates "thought" that it would be a good mental break from our law books. Little did we know.


A replica of Michael Angelo's La Pieta inside the Manila Cathedral.  Palacio del Gobernador, the former seat of executive power during the Spanish era
San Agustin Church and museum (go here for more photos)

Fort Santiago

Pyromusical Olympics (Australia and Philippines) and dinner at Patio Guernica-SM MOA.

Twelve hours and at least three museums (excluding all the historic spots) after, my brain was already complaining of culture overload. And by the time we were eating dinner and this trio of mariachi came over our table to serenade us with Spanish songs, I couldn't help myself from going to the rest room to laugh my creeps out.

Jokes aside though, it was one of those moments that I wish I put more effort in my history classes in high school and undergrad days. Looking through those glass encases and at the exhibits, and reading the bit of narratives in the signages of every landmark, it was like I was peeking into myself as a Filipino and realizing how little I (still) know about my country and myself. And I thought, I wish we, as Filipinos, could do this--take a minute to look into our past and realize how great and capable we were are. Maybe we'll finally have an idea how to move forward.

We didn't just forget, we were made to forget. It's time to reclaim our national memory. ☮

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento